Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Meet my friends, the charcoal wall and its buddy, the weed...

Picking up from my October 25, 2010 entry...
Below will be a few more illustrations of how I see beauty in the imperfections from Main Street Park.  For those of you who aren't local and may not know about Hamlet Crossing, it's the physical "X" railroad North, South, East & West crossroads directly in front of the HHD&M (Hamlet Historic Depot & Museum). 

Depending on the weather conditions -- blue skies to cloud cover.  Or, whether we have a front moving in or out.  Or, the time of day such as dawn, dusk, and in between, to long past midnight (if the Amtrak arrives late on its way to Florida) my glimpses of beauty aren't set in stone.  They are ever changing.  However, I do have some favorites that once they captured my attention, I was hooked.  And since, they've gone on to become captivating to me.  Meaning, I take photos of those things often.  I'm using the word "things" very loosely here.  There are certain trees that I take photos of seasonally and whenever Steve and I go down to the HHD&M simply to sit outside and watch and wait for trains to come by.  There's also a particular RR Crossing sign I'm quite fond of and the natural lighting effects upon it can change it from being washed in pastels to reflecting the sun right in my eyes.  Also, the Hamlet Crossing Equipment Building reflective abilities and position intrigue me.  Of course, my fave of all is my heart building, none other than the Depot itself.  And along with the Depot, the tracks running in each direction.  But, one thing that's probably the most unique and may seem curious to others that I could call a fave is the outer wall of the old falling down charcoal building behind the Tornado Building.  Or, perhaps better described as the Main Street Park perspective of what's left of that old building.  To me, it makes for a great back drop, or canvas.  Plus, I respect that it once had a life and gave people jobs.  It had visitors.  It maybe even had friends.  I study that building and look at how the lighting of the day plays upon it.  I study that building and look closely at the foliage, shrubs, and plants growing along its base.  I look at the tangle of vines on the south end of it, and the weeds growing on top of it.  Call me odd, but I actually like those weeds and am thankful they are out of reach for grounds maintenance care takers to remove them.

During the summer months there is a marvelous vine with vibrant orange flowers which attracts butterflies and dragonflies like crazy.  One afternoon the dragonfly population was so busy I hopped around like frog trying to snap as many photos as I could of them.  But, there is a lone weed standing sentry on top of the wall since I first began visiting Main Street Park frequently.  Seriously, God only knows how longs its been there.  It's there in fair weather and bad weather.  Except for it's top, it's roots are unmovable.  Boy, can't a lesson be learned from the weed right there?

I've watched my friend, the weed, bend to and fro in the wind.  I don't know, maybe it's roots are holding that wall together?  Ya think?  It's only a guess, because, much of the rest of that building, contrary to the buildings along Main Street, didn't hold tight.  Possibly, because it's been out of sight and out of mind for so so very long.  I've also wondered if its counterparts, meaning the other building nearby, have made it feel jealous, and sad because it's not getting much attention by its owner.  I hope it knows how fond I am of it, in spite of its condition.

 This weed is very hardy. 
It's growing in brick and mortar at the very top of a relic of a 15' wall.  

 This weed is strong and resilient.  It asks for nothing at all from man to live, not just exist,
because God is its creator and caretaker. 

 This weed is stubborn.  Blue skies, clouds, rain, sleet, hail or snow.  Temps from 110+  degrees with varying heat indexes to temps so cold the ground lays frozen.  Yet, it steadfastly survives.  Which is stronger?  The weed, or the wall?

God made weeds virtually to be thorns in our sides and tough to be done with forever.  This one figured that out and lives single.  It's chosen to live high enough out of reach to keep itself safe.  It's solitary, yet not alone, Main Street Park and all it encompasses gives it company.

As I've mentioned before and will again and again, much in life comes down to perspective.  How you look at things, literally, and how you focus your attention.  A few example of perspective will follow that I snapped this past Monday and Tuesday.  Only one is an exception -- an aerial I took a year ago last summer above the building.  You'll notice that I've cropped my weed friend to show it off.  I bet, to look at it, you would never suspect it sits atop a wall of a caved in building.

 Not quite in its entirety & the Autumn is definitely leaving its mark upon the foilage and   little tree.  Shadows were cast by lots of moving clouds yesterday, yet, there is a bright ray of sun beaming through and down on the grasses and Liriope -- that means something to me, sort of a like a ray of hope.

I have a thing for the fan.  I've watched it spin again and again.  A very welcome sight on a hot as Hades day, as it signals a welcomed breeze.

This south end of the wall or corner is very hard to see due to the overgrowth of fuscia colored blooms, various greens, and yellows.  Some of the yellow is actually that bright Monday sun.

 I believe nature's cosmetic touches to the old building (that could be easily seen as an eyesore) actually help the remnant feel better about itself.  Any architect will tell you a building has a heart, a soul and a personality.  This one is no different.  It's just neglected and partially in pieces.


 Blooms deserve to be appreciated whereever they grow,
even if they're hiding something easily considered unsightly. 

Now, this is what the wall is hiding all of us from,
amazing how appealing the wall suddenly becomes?  

I didn't know exactly what was hiding until my husband and I first flew about 300' above the area on July 25, 2009.  I was already a fan of the wall, but from that point on, my appreciation of it and affection for it grew.  However, cropped with what remains of the building chopped out, it almost looks like a cool abstract painting to me.  How about to you?

To me, the building is happier with its caved in roof.  It can breath again.  It can hear all of the sounds in Main Street Park from the trains to the birds singing.  It can see dawn to dusk and the heavens above.  It can watch Hamlet's annual Fourth of July fireworks and the Christmas tree lighting.  It's no longer closed from the inside in darkness, nor shut in.  And one day, it will have a life again.  Possibly, not as it once did.  It could be something new will be put upon it's foundation, since that is truly the part that has stood the test time.  Or, it could mean something brand new is built from scratch, or the park is expanded where it once stood.  Regardless, just so you all know, as politely as I can say it, the City of Hamlet is not responsible for its condition.

At the moment, my friends, the charcoal wall and its buddy, the weed are anxiously anticipating one of its favorite events, the 27th Annual Seaboard Festival in less than 3 days!  Meet, too!  How about you?

Next up will be some "thens" or "befores" of the Lackey Building, so anyone attending the festivities on Saturday can have a fresh memory of just how far the building has come, as the hands of time have been turned back. Tip... just remember to look up!

Lastly, a comment about my photos.  This is something I've repeated again and again on Project Rewire (which I'll be picking up again very soon).  I don't add effects to my pictures.  On several of the shots above there appears to be no sky.  That's a brightness issue due to the sun.  I could add a sky, but then it wouldn't be exactly real.  Make sense?  Hope so!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have favorites that I shoot over and over again at different times of the day as well as different times of the year. There is also "J's Tree" named for a fellow blogger who enjoys the character of this special tree as much as I do. I haven't written about it since moving blog pages. maybe it's time I do.

Jeanne said...

I very much look forward to reading about J's Tree, when it's the right time for you.

Anonymous said...

Really liked the weed and building story. They both (weed and building) made me sad and happy at the same time. Thanks for sharing. Steve