Thursday, October 28, 2010

A handful of "then" shots of the Lackey Building; a remnant of a once saloon...

 turned into a pharmacy...

The Lackey Building has been begging for attention. It now knows that its steadfast patience is paying off.  Soon, it will be totally restored with improvements to make it better than ever.  An investment that will benefit the owner and the community.  One of several which will indeed bring vitality and pride back to the close knit southern town.  What could be sweeter?

Some of the pics strike me as poignant for some reason.  I guess its the romantic in me thinking of days gone by before my time, when truly things were much much simpler.  It could also be because I'm such a pie lover!  Ha! 'Cause I sure would have loved to have a slice of homemade pie from way back when.  How about you?  And yes, for those of you who've caught on to it, I saw much beauty even in the areas that needed some serious hands on loving care.  All kinds of beauty.  But, to say I'm loving the new and improved version taking it back to its aesthetic glory of yesterday, is an understatement.   

Rather than sharing photos individually, I'm embedding a very quick slide show.  My original plans were to post an accompanying slide collection of "now" shots, too.  But, my hopes are for someone or someone(s) visiting the upcoming Seaboard Festival might just be inclined to snap a few pics to share here.  If not, be sure to look up at the fine detail work that's been done to re-create and restore missing pieces.  If you're anything like me, you'll find it all too too amazing! 

Note re. the period chalkboard like signage.  It was created for the movie Billy Bathgate, which was filmed in Hamlet and released in 1991.

4 comments:

SJ said...

What beautiful photo's and a passionate blog. I hope you get the desired affect and can understand why you have created this. Thanks for stopping by on the discussion board, its a wonderful way to share experiences. SJ

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, pie! Do you think this will be our generation's legacy; shunning the big cities and working to restore small town America? As much as I love Virginia Beach I have to say that I have no regrets about moving to this little mountain town that has also gone through a rebirth of sorts in the past few years.

Jeanne said...

@SJ ~ thanks very kindly for comments about my photos and this particular passion of mine. And thank you again for creating the discussion board. I hope it proves to be exactly what you have in mind.

@Rocket Man ~ Good question. Small town America deserves to be restored. Right now they're a dime a dozen in rural areas that are too far away to be bedroom communities to larger thriving cities, even in the current economic climate. As for me, pieces of my heart reside here, but my dream is to live closer back to my beloved rocks. I have three heart places. Seattle. Here. And back home, where for me, there is no place sweeter.

Rachel Hoyt said...

Man oh man would I love to have played poker in a saloon like this! Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll someday get my wish!

Rhyme Me a Smile