Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy 83rd Birthday, Mr. Riley Lee Watson!

God bless you this, day, Riley and every day!  If you only knew how many lives you've touched over your lifetime in the place you call home, known as Hamlet.  If you only knew how many smiles you've given to others.  Or, how many hearts you've warmed with your stories.  Personally, I don't believe I can count that high.  But, suffice it to say, more than enough to populate the town of Hamlet, and then some.  The only person I can truly speak for is myself and when we met at Hamlet Crossing almost two years ago now, you told me that you were afraid you'd break my camera, as you pointed your finger at it.  To which I replied, "that will never happen, but one thing has definitely happened, and that's that you've changed my life..." and boy did you!  When Steve and I first saw you saunter out to the equipment buildings perched almost on top of Hamlet Crossing, my heart literally leaped because I knew you were a for real "trainman" as my husband, cousin and I call fondly call them.  I'd not caught a live one yet, and there you were!  My very first.  You were my dad and my grandfather both rolled into one.  Both, needless to say, I sorely miss.  You were fully attired in your railroad outfit with a Seaboard Airline's cap atop your scarred and balding head!  The scar, of course, traces back to one of your personal stories of life on the railroad.  I'd share it, but only you can share your stories, like the one and only you do!  I walked up to you very deliberately and you looked a tiny bit suspicious until I made mention of the Seaboard Airline Railroad merger with Atlantic Coastline in '67.  Your eyes began to twinkle then because that was your tip off that I had not just railroad roots, but "Seaboard" roots.



Easily and immediately we realized that we had a common bond which covered some tracks of time built upon a love for Seaboard Airline Railroad, and of course, upon trains.  At that point, you went into the very first story you ever shared with me.  It wasn't about the railroad, but about the first time you met your beautiful bride, Willie Mae, and how you'd walk from about where were standing to the area nearby the water tower east of Hamlet.  What a walk you made frequently to court your lady love.

Before we parted company I told you to consider yourself "adopted" and you appeared to be pleased by the notion of it.  Within a few days we'd meet your better half and she not only greeted us warmly, but accepted we strangers, like she'd known us all of our lives.  We spent what should have been only a few short minutes in your cozy living room looking at pictures she wanted to share with us.  It was such an honor to be received so comfortably.  Little did any of us know that we'd never have the opportunity to tell her goodbye before she went to be with the Lord.  Now, it's all very poignant in my memory banks and I only can imagine what it's like for you and your family.  And speaking of your family, both of your children have been very kind and very warm to my family and I.         

On both sides we've had some life circumstances which have been challenging, but you, dear sir, much more than I. You face each day without uttering a complaint.  You put one foot in front of the other and live to love those closest to you.  You continue to put smiles on faces.  You continue to warm hearts with your stories.  You continue to be an inspiration, Riley, just by being you!

May you be blessed in your coming year with unexpected joys and delights from above.  And may you continue to reap the benefits from all of the good you've sown over your lifetime and continue to sow in Hamlet and all points beyond.

Here's a little reminder slideshow of the day I met you... (Note that there are 49 photos in this embedded slideshow & sometimes Picasa lags a little, please bear through it.)



Now, to get you on Facebook and the net!  I know just the person and her name begins with "L".

No comments: