Monday, October 25, 2010

As the righthand side panel states...

"I see beauty in the imperfections for without the contrast against perfection, how would we ever recognize unblemished beauty when we see it?

Take time to look up into the heavens and in between the sky and the tree tops and roof tops. There are blessings to be seen and captured. I take comfort in watching the clouds during the day and the starry night skies. Something I can always share with my loved ones far away, is the sky. My view may be a bit different, but whenever I look up, I know that a heavenly sight is above them, too.

Metaphorically, it's important to look up in spite of whatever life throws at us. Much in life comes down to attitude and perspective."




A view looking west up from 2 Main Street, Hamlet - October 24, 2010 - 4:35 p.m.

At the moment, I'm going to focus on perspective.  Not how you view things, but how *I* do so you can get to know me.  And secondly, because I don't know how *you* view things, yet.  Plus, views are better shared in first person as they create the foundation for common ground to be discovered and maintained.  We are all different, so what captures my attention, may not be anywhere near what captures yours.  Like most photogs, when I take pictures, often I'm selfishly into focusing in on what appeals to me -- what my eyes see and/or what catches my fancy.  I like snagging details others may not see immediately.  Or, happen too quickly to be noticed.  I like taking rapid progressive shots of movement, but detest being hampered by programed burst shot settings.  So, I don't use them.  I like taking still shots and waiting for nature to cooperate with me is no biggie.






I have a handful of favorite subjects.  Of course, it goes without saying that one is Main Street, Hamlet and along with it, its evolution to rebirth.  As well as the landmarks and surrounding areas close in proximity.  From the Hamlet Historic Depot & Museum to Main Street Park and Tornado Building to points North, South, East or West.  This could mean the tracks, or the trains traveling along the tracks, or Hamlet Crossing, itself.





 
I don't at all claim to be a photographer by any stretch of the imagination.  I don't even consider it to be a hobby.  Yet, it is an extension of me.  I don't care at all for the confines of composition.  I actually enjoy having a skewed rebellious perspective.  Meaning what I see as beauty some may just shake their heads and wonder "is she crazy?".   And to be perfectly honest, my brain the way it works now -- or doesn't work now, has a difficult time hanging on to camera settings and such, so I don't even try to any longer.  In a nutshell, I just have at it!  Having said all that though, I enjoy taking pictures and sharing them.  Snapping photos is a very personal and actually comforting activity for me, because whenever I'm looking through a viewfinder, I feel better than my usual normal.  It's like laughter, it's quite good medicine and has literally helped re-hab and rewire areas in my brain that needed some tweaking to make connections work more cohesively.  Hopefully, as the community embraces this blog and partners with me, we'll get to see what captures *your* attention.  Whether it be in photos, or in other avenues, my hope is for it to be viewed as a comfortable safe haven to share.  In the meantime, the blogging is up to me.

So, back to my take on "perspective"  using late yesterday afternoon as a prime example.  I'll start off using an interesting photographic object lesson on the visual merits of Kudzu.  Tell me what you see.  In this case do you see it as the invasive "vine that ate the South"?  Or, do you see it's cosmetic attributes similar to that of a green vegetative snow like I do?


Kudzu covered trees, weeds, fencing is akin to snow effects,
but just lasts much much longer.

Something to ponder?  Yes, no... maybe so?  It's part of what I pondered once the Kudzu captured my eye and caught my fancy, yet again.  Admittedly, I went seeking various contrasts and examples of seeing "beauty in the imperfections".  So, when we arrived late yesterday afternoon at the HHD&M around 4:30 p.m. instead of our usual popping our heads in to say "hi" thing, Steve and I along with our most recent rescue Springer, tiny Roxy, meandered around the surrounding area.  I wanted see what touches Autumn was making to the area.  I had my little flying point 'n shoot camera with me, as I often do, and the conditions couldn't have been more perfect for snapping photos.  The sky was a vivid gorgeous Carolina blue.  The clouds were just a glorious mixture of white fluffies with light dove gray to dark almost steel gray hues.  The Autumn sun was beaming brilliantly creating diagonal rays across the southern sky and brightly reflecting off of Main Streets' old timey rooftop "skyline".  It dappled through the trees as it danced upon various weeds and expansive Kudzu growth giving them a nice dose of vibrant natural highlights.  Nearly blinding at times when not tempered with the sky blues, and earthly yellows and greens.

One of my most favorite subjects for Summer and Autumn are the old "T" telephone/power poles that run behind the backside of Hamlet.  I hadn't spent any time this past Summer enjoying them, so they were a welcome sight.  To me, the Kudzu adds a lovely lush lacy trim to the cross like structures which never fail to remind me of Calvary.  They are also subtle reminders to me of hope and faith -- that Hamlet is anything but God forsaken.


 The dying leaves act as a natural intricate frame
surrounding the Kudzu cross in its entirety.


 The Kudzu cross looks small here,
yet it's not quite overshadowed, by its friend the big tree. 


 The Kudzu cross has an important job in stringing we people together upon its lines.

 To me, the poles look much less intrusive against the beauty of the sky blanketed and laced in Kudzu cover.

Next time you catch glimpse of one a Kudzu covered pole, 
you may see it with new eyes.  Or, maybe not...

In closing...


Steve and Roxy did a lot sitting and waiting, while I did a lot of wandering and snapping.  Every few minutes, or so, I'd take a break and sit on a bench beside them.  The benches  up and down Main Street, and in front of the HHD&M are placed conveniently and were very much appreciated by we three.  Give them a try some time as you ponder "seeing beauty in the imperfections".

Needless to say, I had a lovely time, looking up, looking over, looking through, looking in between, looking up close and, of course, beyond, too.  How do you know when you've looked beyond?  It's when you see things that would normally be considered unattractive, or down right ugly.  However, with the right lighting, the right angle, the right perspective, or framing, their beauty strikes you out of the blue, and perfection can be seen.

I have a few more examples of yesterday, which I'll be sharing very soon, so you're invited to stay tuned.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A while back I read an online article about those of us who choose to ignore the rules of photography and just shoot what moves us. The author called it "Guerrilla Photography" and that seems to fit my philosophy behind the viewfinder perfectly.

I love what you're doing here and will never look at one of those telephone poles the same way again. That said, I'm still keeping a wary eye on kudzu as I've heard it frequently swallows slow moving livestock and most cows move faster than I do afoot!

Jeanne said...

Rocket Man, that sounds like a really cool article and right up my alley. Your philosophy is similar to mine and I really believe it comes from where we grew up and the environment. Back then it was about enjoying our surroundings and being real -- natural.

I'm thrilled you love what I'm trying and hoping to do here. But, even more thrilled that I've changed your inside lens when it comes to telephone poles. You just never know what else I might change... can't wait to read your recent "wooooooooeeee" entry! I chuckled as soon as I glimpsed its title here. LOL