Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hurrying up Old Man Winter in the header...




Or, I could as easily title this entry the hidden meaning, behind the header...

I've been toying with the idea of creating a festive holiday spirited header with various images I've taken over the past couple of years in the Hamlet area.  But, I've thought better about it.  The holidays for me, even though I never ever forget the reason for the season, meaning celebrating Christ's, our savior's birth, admittedly, are an up and down time for me.  I miss my loved ones.  Those in heaven, and in various places across the country.  I always miss them, but over the holidays, the missing is jacked up quite a few notches.

It's an up and down time for many people I know.  And right now, several of my family members and friends are going through various challenges.  On my end, my mother remains in extremely fragile health.  Thank the Lord, the key word in the previous sentence is "remains".  She's still here on earth, yet, she's been on a steady decline since we lost my dad in 2006.  The past two weeks have been extra difficult for her.  Fortunately, she's a praying and faith believing woman.  She's in God's hands.  Both my husband and I know this, however, we can't help but wring our hands over her condition.

Why am I sharing such personal stuff on this blog?  Well, it's important for my readers locally to get to know me.  In time, I'll share more and some readers may very well realize they crossed paths with me in the past. 

What does this have to do with my blog header change?  You'll see.  Yet, you may have to connect the dots.  It's only the temperatures I don't care for at all during the winters months.  Winter can be harsh, but there's a special softness to it, too -- if you're in tune to it.  I like snow and as much as I complain about being cold throughout the winter months.  Unless we're buried in a blizzard, snow makes me very... very... very... happy.  I also adore winter skies.  Gray fluffy clouds mingled with pastel hues never fail to make me smile.  Winter sunrises and sunsets are practically everyday treats to anticipate, savor and enjoy.  In spite of the shivers, and teeth chattering moments, I find it all can be strikingly beautiful in contrast to the other seasons depending on my perspective.
 

The images in the header are reflected below...

On a cold day a train with flat bed open rusty rail cars traveling the east track heading out of Hamlet was a special sight late last fall.  Against a pinky lavender sky with a special heart warming glow below the coolness, can be magical ingredients.  Don't you agree?



A rail road signal sign with the silhouetted image of a favorite tree during the a late winter to fall dusk was as refreshing a spring day.  The signal was a sign for me to stop and take in the beauty of the moment.  Does that make sense to you?  If it doesn't, the trick is to stop for a moment to breath in such moments silentlyThe Word says... "be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).



The Hamlet Historic Depot & Hamlet Crossing during even a scant snow was a beautiful sight for sore eyes.  How about to about you?  I was actually surprised to find no one there to take pictures of the snow at the Depot that day besides my husband I.  Ours were the first foot prints in the snow, though.  What fun it was! 



So, what better way to portray the coming winter months on this blog than to create a superimposed collage of the three photos above.  Three wonderful chilly to icy, but heartwarming memories.  And you know what?  The drear of winter is actually easier on my eyes, than bright and dappling sunlight happens to be.  Yes, even for a beach girl like me.  It's why I gravitate toward dawn and dusk skies.  This is a fact I didn't realize until writing this entry.  Geez, the surprising tidbits we can learn about ourselves sometimes. :)    

Just fyi... soon, I'll be taking the Facebook component to All Aboard Hamlet live.  That will be a way of bringing the blog to more locals, in an effort to help you to get to know me within the community better.  


Also, I'll be adding static links to Hamlet businesses and/or websites and entities with heart string ties to Hamlet.  If you're interested in being linked up, do let me know!

Lastly, did you happen to catch the hidden meaning behind the new header?  If not, you'll find it above in italics.  I'll let you in on a little secret.  The message in italics isn't just for me, it's for many of you, whether you sense it right away, or not.  Several of you have suffered a variety of hurts recently.  Hurts you've shared with me, personally.  Hurts you'll take into the holiday season with you.  It's during those times to help the coping process, consider stepping back from your life for a moment.  Yes, while you're living it.  God knows what you're going through. Just as He knows what's going with me.  


I've had issues with being able to read the Bible, or any book since Epilepsy entered my life.  There's just a crazy disconnect, which is one reason I write in my blogs, and elsewhere, to help those areas in my brain work as they were designed to again.  But, I can hang on to scriptures.  My mantra, as I've mentioned in this blog and Project Rewire, is push past and through, push past and through.  In order to do that, it requires not action on my part, but stillness.  Think about it.  It may be the same for you.    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The cold has never bothered me much, especially since I discovered the secret....layering. Snow, in moderation, is pleasing to my eye and I can breathe more easily without summer's heat and humidity. This means I can get out and enjoy the beauty God has bestowed upon us. Your message touched home with me, Jeanne. God bless you for helping me through this difficult time.

Jeanne said...

Oh yes, I discovered layering in Ohio, and walked around like the Michelan man, quite often. The thing is, I never removed layers -- just kept adding more. ;)

You were in this message, meaning, more than part of it was directed to you (among others). But, what you don't know is that you helped inspire it. How? By helping me tap into the things I enjoy about winter.

I've been there, Chip and it is rough going. If any of my words helped, well, that's a blessing to me.