Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Autumn vividly signals transitions & changes both nature & manmade...



Autumn signals many changes.  We've already turned the clocks back from "fast time" as my grandmother Holland used to call it, even though she never turned her clocks back.  She said she'd had enough of that during WWII, and she stuck to it!

In Hamlet Autumn means the Seaboard Festival for townspeople and for visitors from all around.  It also means the colors of the season's change can be seen up and down the old side streets vividly and in places like Main Street Park.

Toward the end of Autumn after the Seaboard Festival, there's a little bit of a lull while shades of yellow, orange, gold and red appear on the trees and leaves begin to delicately fall, before they're either raked, bagged and taken away.  Or, returned to the earth as Mother Nature's natural mulching material.  Once the color peak becomes a thing of the past, and more leaves are on the ground, than on trees, Hamlet begins preparing for the upcoming Holidays.




The transition doesn't really happen overnight if you're frequently in the area, but if you aren't it surely may seem like it.  Even old timer trees get into the act in prepping for the holidays by allowing Mistletoe to adorn their upper limbs.  They want to make sure everyone gets kissed during the Christmas season.


Up above, banners that line the streets signaling events, holidays and season changes are in the midst of transition, too, to reflect greetings for the season.  And giant soon to be lighted snowflakes sit on the ground waiting for a quick boost up from city workers.  They'll softly light up the streets for the holidays with a certain type of warmth and old timey charm one can only find in small town America cities, like in Richmond County, NC.


I believe of all of the seasons, as Autumn begins to roll in the changes it brings to the naked eye are more obvious, than Winter, Spring or Summer.  As the leaves begin to fall, and breezes kick it up a few notches, we know what's ahead for us.  Yet, we're stuck kind of in between Summer, Autumn and Winter with the way the temps swing to and fro in the Sandhills.  Often, there are 40 degree differences from dawn until dusk.  That's like three seasons in a single day.  Some trees stand leafless, while others either hold tight to the few leaves they have left, or their foliage as long as they can with merely a flag pole in between them.


They know it's going to turn cold, just like we do.  The difference, they undress for it, while we bundle up.  Now, ponder that one for a few!   For warm weather lovin' people like me, we actually begin to brace ourselves for the icy temps and the dreary weather.  For me it means some extra pain in my head and throughout my body, but whatever.  It's part of my life now.  I don't like it, but it's the way it is, that's why I do everything I can to distract myself every waking moment of every day.  At the first sign of cool temps, I begin layering my attire, even inside my home.  My homemade iced lattés become steaming hot yummy concoctions to warm myself inside out, inside my home.  Pots of delicious hot tea made from my husband's and my favorite loose teas become must haves, frequently.  I begin switching from showers to hot baths to warm my forever cold feet and hands when nothing else will.  As leaves begin to fall, they begin showing up inside my home with the help of my four rescue Springers (and my husband).  So, with Autumn I find I must tap into my hope reservoir and remind myself that it will get warm again even though the deciduous trees are preparing to hibernate by dropping their leaves.  I keep in mind that we're just in transition and remember how easy it is to find beauty in the imperfections.  During the colder weather that means skies filled with a variety of clouds, and sundogs are apt to pop out at random during icy feeling late afternoons.  I find myself actually looking forward to taking pictures of my favorite sleeping trees, as I affectionately call my tree friends.  I find myself hoping and anticipating lavender, pink and red sky sunrises, and sunsets on cold days, that are so refreshing and renewing to my spirit that they have the ability to warm my heart and soul.  Sky views that only come along with winter.  I begin praying for a few pretty snows, too.  Nothing significant, just enough to  blanket the ground with fun white stuff for kids and critters young and old to enjoy.  And, I know that no matter how cold or icky it gets, a splendor of fresh flower blossoms and delightful fragrances are ahead as Spring rolls in and becomes Summer.

During Autumn I have some special places in Richmond County that call me each year.  One of these places is very nearby me.  So close, I can actually walk to it.  Two are in Rockingham -- the Historic area, and Hinson Lake.  One big favorite, I just featured in my other blog, Project Rewire.  To see an amazing yellowish gold sight, considering clicking "here" to take a quick peek.  The fourth, of course, is Main Street - Hamlet and the Depot area.  The colors aren't as vibrant as in years past, in my opinion, and when I look back through photos, but nonetheless, they're still pretty to me.




In strolling around the area, I still see beauty in the imperfections all around, however, it does hurt just a pinch to see how the frost turned the Kudzu lace upon my old telephone crosses into a vine.  It reminds me of the thorns Christ wore on Calvary, even though there are no thorns.  Again, I keep the image of Spring in mind when the green returns to prove God's plan for the cycle of the seasons was the perfect way to go!

Man made transition is so apparent up and down Main Street.  The rehabilitation of several buildings has now taken place and it's so good for the hearts of those who live in, or have heart ties to Hamlet, like me.  The changes have taken what were practically eyesores, to literally stunning joys to behold.  Particularly, when you can see the contrast right before you, as I can via photos I've taken over the past couple of years.


When I began this blog, I shared some photos of the Lackey Building, but there's many more in my stash.  I also held back pictures of Main Street Central because it was in the transition process.  Plus, the photos showed a building of yesteryear, sadly fallen into disrepair.  The aerial above, doesn't show it all, thankfully, but it shows enough to give you an idea of the way it was before it was given a new life by Nancy Rivers.


Even though, I've not talked with her personally, nor do I know her, she obviously saw that it was high time for a change.  That the old anchor building on the corner, needed some badly TLC hands on care to bring it back to it's attractiveness of decades long since passed.



Talk about another amazing transition!  The work Nancy has done, is nothing short of a miracle!  It's gone from being a place a person couldn't get by fast enough, to quite welcoming.


I mean really, what could look more comfy and welcoming than seeing this entry way along Main Street Hamlet?



I've yet to get a chance to see the interior, but I've stood and just to admire it a couple of times now.  In fact, day before yesterday I had to take package to the Post Office for mailing.  As I often do, I went to the Hamlet Post Office.  Yes, it's a nostalgia thing.  I get to walk up the steps and through the doors like I did as a little girl with my granddaddy to retrieve mail from Box 128.  I took this little trip on my own since my husband was working.  These days, I don't get behind the wheel of a car very often.  So, it's a big treat to go off on my own even for simple errands.  Of course, I had my handy dandy point 'n shoot camera with me, because I'd planned on taking a few shots of Main Street Central while in Hamlet.  Standing there soaking in Nancy's handiwork from the Happy Holidays way she has the porch decorated, to the paint scheme, truly was the cherry on the top of my day.  

I looked at the building closely and the hard work that's so easy to see from the outside and appreciated it for several minutes.  To say it's night and day, is an understatement.  It's like a breath of fresh air on that corner now, compared to what always struck me, and others, as sadness and despair for too many years.  I hope to go back soon during the Christmas season to take a collection of photos with my Nikon, and perhaps, get a peek inside the place.

Now for a few comments about this blog from the blogger...

Obviously, it's been almost a month since my last entry.  It's not that I haven't had thoughts, words and photos to share.  It's not that I haven't been compelled to share.  More or less, it's been a matter of holding myself back to give some further thought to this place -- my hopes for it, blended with reality.  And, to be honest, to give my Aunt Jane, the subject of my last entry, which was an open letter to her, some time to get set up with a new internet provider.  I didn't want that special post to get covered up by other entries, so she could easily discover it on her own as she rehabs from the stroke.

And... to be totally honest, I wanted to see if anyone would take me up on my offer to share photos from the Hamlet's Seaboard Festival.  But, no one approached me.  Has that bothered me?  Maybe a pinch, but it's not that I didn't expect it.  And, I'm not throwing off on anyone.  People need to get to know me, to trust me, and the vehicle for that is partially through this blog.  The non response from locals helped me to see that this particular blogging endeavor will be pretty much "my" thing, rather than a community driven blog as I'd hoped.  Not my original intentions, but changing directions "now" in my thought processes is an easy transition.  Down the road would set me up for possible disappointment.  Hopefully, in time people within the community will embrace All Aboard Hamlet, and climb on board by taking time to read and comment here and there.  Hopefully, in time people will get to know me and share their stories with me.  And, in time allow me to share there stories on All Aboard Hamlet, if they are uncomfortable sharing them themselves.  I don't claim to be a photographer, nor a writer, but I do enjoy sharing stories and memories.  I believe it's important for future generations in Hamlet and elsewhere to hear about "then" for several reasons.  One, so we can appreciate the contributions made in getting to  "now".  Two, so "now" as compared to "then" will become crystal clear.  Three, so we can understand how change and transition, although difficult at times, is necessary to bring about a better future.

I could go on and on with this train of thought, cementing it in various examples, but Autumn itself, illustrates it much better than my humble attempts via words ever could.  And what's one of the best things ever that Autumn has to offer?  Well, Thanksgiving, of course!  This year I'm especially grateful for having an opportunity to make a little bit of a difference at The Hamlet Historic Depot & Museum.  My husband and I both enjoy our volunteer gig there, and working with my partner, Dave on the website project has just been great.  I enjoy cyber networking to promote The Depot and all that comes with it, and Hamlet as town with a bright future.  I'm also especially grateful for some special new bonds I've made this past year with some of the town folk and the encouragement they've given to me.  As I walk up and down Main Street Hamlet, I'm thankful for all of the efforts a collective group of people in giving a good part of the street a much needed face lift.  The strides that have been made are both heart warming, touching and amazing.  Thank you from a person with heart string ties to Hamlet.

My best wishes to all for a blessed 2010 Thanksgiving!

Hamlet has some terrific events to enjoy locally ahead.  The ceremonial lighting of the Christmas Tree in Hamlet's Main Street Park this coming Monday, November 29th at 5:30 p.m. tops my list of my "Hamlet" must dos.  How about yours?

To see this lovely tree in it's glory, you must see it 
at night once it's lighted for the Christmas Season!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now,I am fully aware that I'm not quite right but I LOVE winter! The build up to Christmas with all the festive decorations, the first snow, being able to get out and wander all I want without triggering my asthma. It used to get a little depressed in January when the Christmas decorations came down but these days it just means spring is right around the corner so best pack the freezer full of snowballs while I still can. There is nothing like the face of someone hit with a snowball right in the middle of an Independence Day picnic!

I know, I know.......back in the corner! One of these days I'll be too old for tine out and you'll have to start picking on Wally or Freddie!

BTW; I think you're a photographer. You have a great series here! Anyone tells you differently just let me know. I have plenty of snowballs left from last winter!

Jeanne said...

That has nothing to do with your not being quite right! :) You live in area where winter can be a bear, but it's what it's supposed to be. Here, it's much like back home, but, more often warmer. The weather has what I call mood swings, which actually can wreak havoc with me due to the nature of my health issues. Believe me, when I lived in the mid-west and even in Seattle (in spite of the rain) when winter arrived -- it came for the season. Christmas felt like Christmas. It was never balmy, or anything in between. I miss snow like crazy, and I miss the gear I needed to cope with it. If I lived in the area where you do, it would much more appealing to me. It would be fun! Also, you have more freedom than I do to wander. What happens on my end is that I get cabin fever easily, and since the weather is rough on my bod and neuro system, rarely do I get to venture off on my own even to run errand. I believe my winters are kind of like your summers with your asthma.

No need for you to go to the corner whatsoever. I get it. I will always get it with you.

Big hug for your last comment. I still don't claim it. One day when I do settings again, maybe I will. However, keep that stash of snowballs handy... ;)